- Planning & Zoning
- Board of Adjustments
Board of Adjustments
If you have an adjustment request, please fill out the BOA application*.
*See fee schedule for application submission fees.
If you would like to discuss your property/project with one of our planners, please call (706) 236-5025 to schedule an appointment.
- Third Thursday of every month at 2:30 PM*
- Located in the Sam King Room in City Hall *
- Open to the public (Zoom link available upon request)
- Neighbors of parcels in question will be notified in advance
* unless otherwise noted
BOA Applications are due by 5:00 pm on the 25th day of the calendar month which is two months before the calendar month in which the application is to be considered. For example, if the application is to be heard in July, then the application should be submitted no later than May 25. Please note there is an associated fee with your application. See the fee chart for more details.
- Unified Land Development Code @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Planning & ZoningPhysical Address
607 Broad Street
Rome, GA 30161
All requests for relief shall be taken as an appeal to the Board of Adjustment. Persons may appeal to the Board of Adjustment for relief under the following circumstances:
- When aggrieved by an action or an interpretation of an administrative official made under this Development Code.
- When an exception is desired for a particular property from a certain requirement of this Development Code, as specified in this Section.
- When compliance with the requirements of this Development Code would create a particular and unique hardship.
- When the requirements for flood protection affect a historic structure.
Special exceptions shall be limited to relief from the following requirements of this Development Code:
- Minimum building setbacks.
- Maximum building height.
- Minimum lot width.
- Public street frontage.
- Buffers and screening.
- Signage, in accordance with a uniform sign plan.
- Parking requirements.
- Standards for approval.
In no case shall a hardship variance be granted for any of the following:
- A condition created by the applicant, including the result of an unwise investment decision or real estate transaction.
- A change in the conditions of approval imposed through a zoning change granted by the Governing Body.
- Reduction of a minimum lot size required by a zoning district.
- Use of land or building or structures that is not permitted by the zoning district that is applicable to the property.
- Any increase in the number of dwelling units or nonresidential building floor area otherwise permitted by the zoning district that is applicable to the property.
If denied, an application for a hardship variance or special exception affecting the same property shall not be considered for a period of 12 months from the date of denial; provided, however, that the Board of Adjustment may reduce the waiting period under extenuating circumstances or on its own motion. A decision of the Board of Adjustment shall be final unless the aggrieved party requests an appeal before and/or adjudication by the City or County Attorney to resolve appeals, prior to going to court. Only a court of the competent authority may hear such appeals.